Bhutan Road Trip
So, this year explore your hidden Happiness surrounded by iconic monasteries & great scenic beauty
Highlights of the trip
- Awe-Inspiring Landscapes
- Stunning Architecture
- Experience a rich culture
- Night life of Thimphu & Phunaka
- Find your zen in the Dzongs – visit the country’s glorious dzongs, used as much for administrative purposes as they are celebratory and religious
- Drive through the highest motorable pass in Bhutan – Chellela Pass
- Hike to the cliff-clinging Tiger’s Nest Monastery
- Airport Transfers (i.e. Transport from Bagdogra to Phuentsholing and back)
- All transport within Bhutan in a Toyota Hiace/Coaster or a bolero/similar
- Accomodation in 3* Hotels
- Breakfast (Day 2 to Day 8) & Dinner (Day 1 to Day 7) at all hotels
- Entrance fees to Tigers Nest, Phunaka Dzong, Tashichho Dzong, Chimmi Lakhang, Takin Preserve
- All permits
- Local Bhutanese Guide
- Sustainable Development Fee - 1200 Per Night Per Person (Total 6000)
- Travel Insurance
- Pre & Post-Trip support
- Wandering Souls Merchandise
- Train/ Air fare till NJP/Bagdogra (We can help you in booking flights or can book it for you)
- Lunch on all days
- Anything not mentioned in the inclusions
- Entry Fees to places not mentioned in inclusions
Day 1 - Bagdogra Airport to Phuentsholing | Overnight at Phuentsholing
Reach Bagdogra airport by 2.00 pm. After a brief introduction, we will move towards the border town of Phuentsholing. It is a 4-hour drive through acres of tea gardens and countryside. Once we reach the border a huge ornate gate welcomes us to Bhutan. We will spend the night at Phuentsholing .
Day 2 - Phuentsholing to Thimphu | Overnight at Thimphu
After breakfast, we will go to process our permit. After all the formalities, we will visit the Kharbandi Gompa monastery which provides great views of the Phuentsholing town and the plains of West Bengal before proceeding towards Thimphu, Bhutan's Capital. We drive through spectacular mountain views and peaceful countryside to reach Thimphu. After checking into the hotel, we will explore the city on foot. We will spend the night at Thimphu.
Day 3 - Thimphu local site seeing | Overnight at Thimphu
After breakfast, we will proceed to make permit for Dochula Pass and Phunaka for the next day and then go for local sightseeing. We will visit the National Memorial Chorten (you will find elderly Bhutanese people circumambulating the chorten throughout the day, it is a great place to observe some Bhutanese tradition), Buddha Point (it has a massive statue of Shakyamuni measures in at a height of 51.5 meters, making it one of the largest statues of Buddha in the world), Tashichho Dzong(A Buddhist monastery and fortress which is the office the Bhutanese government). We will visit the bustling Thimphu market late evening. Overnight at Thimphu.
Day 4 - Visit Dochula Pass, Phunaka Site seeing | Overnight at Punakha
In the morning, we will drive to Dochula pass (3080 m) after breakfast. It provides a stunning 360-degree panoramic view of Himalayan mountain range. Here we will stop at the 108 Dochula chortens which were built by Queen Mother to honour the Bhutanese soldiers who were killed when fighting the rebels in 2003. Later we will drive to Paro to visit Punakha Dzong often referred to as the “Palace of Happiness” is arguably one of the most beautiful dzongs in the country, it is built at the junction of Pho Chu (Father River) & Mo Chu (Mother River). There is a beautiful suspension bridge (longest in Bhutan) near the Punakha Dzong and gives a breath-taking view of the surrounding area. We can also indulge in River Rafting in Phunaka at our own expense. Overnight at Punakha.
Day 5 - Punakha to Paro | Overnight at Paro
After breakfast, we will drive to Paro. We will visit the Chimi Lhakhang also known as the “temple of fertility” on our way to Paro and also stop at Lamperi to visit Royal Botanical Park – The park contains a rich biodiversity of flora and fauna and features a huge species of plants and animals including endangered species. We can also see a Rhododendrons in the Park. After checking into the hotel visit the National Museum which has an excellent collection of arts, relics, religious thangkha, etc. In the evening we will explore some cafes in Paro or visit a Karaoke club. Overnight at Paro
Day 6 - Trek to Tiger’s Nest | Overnight at Paro
After an early breakfast, we will hike to the Tiger’s Nest Monastery or the Paro Taktsang. It hangs on a cliff and stands above a beautiful forest of blue pine and rhododendrons. it is a 6-hour hike both ways. A temple complex was first built in 1692, around the Taktsang Senge Samdup cave where Guru Padmasambhava is said to have meditated for three years, three months, three weeks, three days and three hours in the 8th century. Today, Paro Taktsang is the best known of the thirteen Taktsang or “tiger lair” caves in which he meditated. Tonight, we will explore the nightlife of Paro
Day 7 - Excursion to Chellela pass, Paro to Phuentsholing | Overnight at Phuentsholing
After breakfast excursion trip to Chele-La-Pass (13,088 ft.)– the highest motorable road in Bhutan. Enjoy the scenic beauty & memorable landscapes from Chele-La-Pass. Back to Paro. We will then leave for Phuentsholing. We will explore the town if we reach early in the evening. Overnight stay at Phuentsholing.
Day 8 - Phuentsholing to Bagdogra Airport
Like all the good things this trip must also come to an end. After breakfast, check out from the hotel, and drive to Bagdogra Airport. Say your goodbyes, this brings us to the end of an EPIC adventure and beginning of an era of travel stories with Wandering souls. Come back for more and more
Calendar & Prices
Things to Carry
Can I come alone?
Yes, many of our participants are solo travellers.
Is it safe for a female solo traveller?
It is completely safe for a female solo traveller as our representatives will be there with you all the time. Moreover, most of our events have 60% female participation.
What if I have a medical emergency?
We will carry first aid kit with us. The coordinators will be first aid certified. If the problem increases, we will quickly get you to closest medical attention possible.
How will you contact me once I register?
We will be mailing you the details once you register. We will also create a WhatsApp group a 2 weeks before the trip
What is the stay like in Bhutan Trip?
Accommodation on Double sharing basis in Hotels & Houseboats at all destinations as per the itinerary. In an unlikely case of odd number of male/female participants 1 or max 2 rooms will be triple sharing (only where the room is big enough)
- Phuentsholing – Gadhen/Meto Pema/Orchid
- Thimphu – Druk Noryang /Pemaling/White Tara
- Phunaka – PunakhaRsd/WhiteDragon/Zhusa
- Paro – Ratna Vara /Tsherim /Pema Yangsel
Would I get cellular connectivity in Bhutan?
International roaming charges would apply on your Indian SIM cards. You can take a local sim card by showing your passport or voter id from Bhutan
What type of food will I get in Bhutan?
We will be having our Breakfast & Dinners at our stays. Lunches we will have locally during our road trip and sightseeing trips. Avg cost per meal would be around ₹200-₹300
- UPI - wsouls@ybl
- NEFT - A/C No.: 046110100000183 || IFSC: NKGS0000046 || A/c Name: Wandering Souls || Type: Current || Branch: NKGSB NERUL, NEW BOMBAY
- Online through payment gateway - Click Book Now (3.5% transaction charges)
- You can book you seat by paying ₹10000 advance
- The remaining amount has to be paid 2 weeks before the trip start date
- If cancellation done by participant prior to 45 days of the Event, 10% of the advance amount will be deducted
- If cancellation done by participant prior to 30 days of the Event, 50% of the advance amount will be deducted
- If cancellation done by participant between 15 to 30 days of the Event, 100% of advance amount will be deducted
- If cancellation done by participant between 7 to 15 days of the Event, 50% of whole trip amount will be deducted
- If cancellation done by participant within 7 days of the Event, 100% of whole trip amount will be deducted