Heritage Walk – Fort, Mumbai
Welcome to the heart of Mumbai's rich history and heritage as we embark on a captivating journey through the iconic Fort area. This heritage walk will transport you back in time to an era when this bustling metropolis was just beginning to take shape, and the British colonial presence in India was at its zenith.
The Fort area, a name that echoes with the remnants of a bygone era, was once a formidable fortification. Over the years, it has evolved from a fortified stronghold into the vibrant urban center that we know today. As we stroll through these historic streets, we will uncover the fascinating stories and architectural treasures that have shaped the narrative of Mumbai's development.
From the grandeur of the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT) building to the tranquil beauty of St. Thomas’ Cathedral and the enchanting Victorian Gothic Ensemble of the Oval Maidan, this heritage walk will unravel the layers of history, culture, and architecture that define this remarkable part of Mumbai.
Join us as we step back in time to explore the heritage and legacy of Fort Mumbai, a journey that will leave you with a deeper appreciation for the city's past and a renewed sense of connection to its vibrant present. Let's begin our exploration of the enchanting stories that lie within the walls of this historic enclave.
Appox. Distance Covered on Foot: 4km
Reporting Time: 8am
Meeting Point: CSMT
- Guided Heritage Walk
- Walk souvenir
- Light Breakfast
- Wandering Souls Merchandise
- Anything not mentioned in the Inclusions
Report at CSMT station by 8 am and meet the team and fellow participants. The walk starts from CSMT and will end at Gateway to India. Approximate distance covered on foot is 4kms
- CSMT Station – Introduction to the city, Railways and Governance
- Asiatic Society of Mumbai – The story of Bombay from Portuguese to British
- Flora fountain – Why were the fort walls demolished?
- Bombay High Court – Coming up of the ‘New Bombay’
- Kala Ghoda – The Art center and World War 1
- Gateway of India – Towards Independence and beyond…
Calendar & Prices
Things to Carry
- UPI - wsouls@ybl
- NEFT - A/C No.: 046110100000183 || IFSC: NKGS0000046 || A/c Name: Wandering Souls || Type: Current || Branch: NKGSB NERUL, NEW BOMBAY
- Online through payment gateway - Click Book Now (3.5% transaction charges)
What is the route?
Route: CSMT -> Asiatic Society of Mumbai -> Flora fountain -> Bombay High Court -> Kala Ghoda -> Gateway of India
Who will be leading the Walk?
Ketan Parte will be guiding you through the history of Fort. He is an independent researcher and a student of English literature. He specializes in rock-cut architecture and the ancient Indian script - Brahmi. Besides this, he has been an enthusiast on the colonial history of Bombay and how it has shaped the city to become what it is today. Through his heritage walks, Ketan aspires to bridge the gap between the past and the present and spread awareness regarding the historical and cultural significance of these areas.
How will you contact me once I register?
One day prior to event, we will send you an "event headsup" email with further details, instructions, event coordinator contact details, etc. Along with these, it will also consist of event specific Whatsapp group invite link. Kindly click on the link & join this group for further coordination. (Note: Keep an eye at your spam folder too)
How much distance do we cover?
We cover approximately 4kms on foot.
Where will we have breakfast?
We have selected a few famous eateries on the route, and we will be stopping at these places to grab their famous snack.
Can I come alone?
Yes, many of our participants are solo travellers.
Is it safe for a female solo traveller?
It is completely safe for a female solo traveller as our representatives will be there with you all the time. Moreover, most of our events have 60% female participation.
Can we smoke or drink alcohol?
Smoking or drinking alcohol is prohibited.
Will I get water during the ride?
You need to carry a bottle of water with you
- Cancellation charge of 15% would be deducted from the booking if cancelled 2 days before the event
- No refund would be granted if cancelled within 2 days of the event.
- No refund (Partial or otherwise) will be made if you voluntarily leave or drop out of a trip for any reason after the trip has begun. No refunds will be made for any accommodation, transportation, sightseeing, meals or services not utilized